THE ONLY COOKBOOK YOU NEED THIS YEAR

THE ONLY COOKBOOK YOU NEED THIS YEAR

It’s not rare for me to have at least one new cookbook show up in my kitchen each week.

My ridiculous spending habits paired with a constant cycle of cookbook related blogger mail means that I’m always surrounded by inspiring, fun and new recipes. While my bookshelf might be groaning a little under the always-increasing load, I’m not bothered by it in the slightest.

There’s nothing quite like feeling inspired, and sometimes all it takes is a fresh perspective on food and a new way of eating fresh and clean, and I’m 100% in.

Enter Jamie Oliver’s latest masterpiece.

5 INGREDIENTS

The Only Cookbook You Need This Year | www.agirlandgrey.com @agirlandgrey

Yep – 5 – and only five. No more, no less.

I remember years ago there was a trend of cooking with minimal ingredients. I also remember trying to jump on board this trend and finding it quite sucky, so naturally I was a little worried about Jamie’s latest venture.

Well, I needn’t be concerned. Mr Oliver can do no wrong in my eyes {& for that matter never has}. I’ve been collecting Jamie’s books for years, and find they are the ones out of my ridiculous collection with the most oil splatters and thumb prints adorning the front and back cover.

The Only Cookbook You Need This Year | www.agirlandgrey.com @agirlandgrey
The Only Cookbook You Need This Year | www.agirlandgrey.com @agirlandgrey

There’s recipes for vegetarians and vegans {& other easily veganised recipes} like the Carrot & Grain Salad, the Sweet Potato Salad and the Lemony Courgette Linguine. There are also heaps of delicious chicken, beef and pork dishes, like the Hoisin Chicken Lettuce Wraps, the Easy Sausage Carbonara {which we’re having for dinner tonight} and the Roast Tikka Chicken.

‘But what if you’re more into dessert?’ I hear you ask.

Well Jamie’s got that covered too.

There’s Watermelon Granitas and a Frozen Banoffee Cheesecake and even a Walnut Whip Affogato.

Every recipe is easy. Dead easy, in fact, and few require more than half an hour.

Plus, the requirement for five and only five ingredients makes for affordable home cooking – something which I am a huge advocate for. If it’s going to cost me more than my phone bill to make it – I’m probs not gonna tbh.

Another thing I love about this cookbook is that it’s inspired me to cook + eat at home more.

I don’t know about you guys but I often feel so intimidated by all of the eating rules in existence today that I completely shut down. I’m not sure if it’s due to my disordered eating in the past or my anxious mind at present, but I can find something ‘wrong’ with almost any meal… too much fat, too little protein, too many carbohydrates, too much sugar, too much salt, not enough fibre, not enough salt, not enough green vegetables, too much dairy…

It just gets to the point where I feel lost in regards to feeding and nourishing myself, and I like that Jamie has a *no bs* response to all of this food drama, and actually – I eat better when I pay no mind to that judgy voice inside my head.

So if you’re over food drama and feeling uninspired af in your kitchen, I highly recommend picking 5 Ingredients up. It just might be the only cookbook you need this year.

The Only Cookbook You Need This Year | www.agirlandgrey.com @agirlandgrey

18 Comments

1. February 23, 2018 / 5:10 am

I’ve been meaning to get my hands on a copy of this for ages! Good to read raving reviews about it. It’s definitely going in my amazon shopping cart 😉

2. January 28, 2018 / 2:51 pm

I wanted to work in a library since I was a child, it’s pretty awesome! Next time I see the book at work I’ll have a look through it or I might Google it 🙂 Thanks for your advice x

3. January 25, 2018 / 7:27 pm

I’ve heard so much of Jamie Oliver but never peeked at any of his cookbooks. I just moved to a new city and so I need to get on top of my cooking game, so it’s so perfect that you’re suggesting this cookbook now! It sounds great and simple, I’ll definitely keep an eye out for it.
    Have a good rest of the week! x

Joanne | With Risa: A Lifestyle Blog

• January 28, 2018 / 11:43 am

Oh that’s exciting you’ve moved to a new city! I 100% recommend this book – it’ll change your life. xo

• January 28, 2018 / 11:41 am

Yessss Daisy you totally should and then we can be twins and cook the same things! xo

4. Natalia Cooke
    January 25, 2018 / 10:54 am

I love all Jamie’s books. This one is such a great idea! I HATE spending a fortune on loads of ingredients.

5. January 25, 2018 / 7:15 am

I work in my city’s library and I have seen this book a few times. I’ve always preferred to eat at home and I know that the majority of the time it is much cheaper to do so. How difficult would the recipes be for a beginner or a fussy eater? x

• January 28, 2018 / 11:39 am

I would love to work in a library – #dreamjob! I think these recipes are perfect for a beginner – they’re all less than 2 paragraphs long and super quick to make {less than 30 mins for most}. As for fussy eating – I think you’d get along really well with it. Most recipes require normal ingredients that most people eat, but you could always substitute things you’re unsure about, mix and match. etc. Let me know how you go! xo

6. Cheyenne Wendt
    January 25, 2018 / 5:42 am

I love this! Never heard of him before and now I’m obsessed. Planning to buy the book after my next paycheck 🙂

• January 28, 2018 / 11:37 am

Aaaah I’m so excited for you! I can’t believe you’ve never heard of Jamie Oliver before! He’s incredible. xo

7. January 25, 2018 / 4:45 am

I’ve been looking at this cook book for ages, so I’m definitey going to get it! All the recipes look so simplistic 🙌🏻

• January 28, 2018 / 11:35 am

Yesss you absolutely must. It’s my favourite cookbook – ever! xo

@AGIRLANDGREY