Do You Have A Hormone Imbalance?

Do You Have A Hormone Imbalance?

Forget being able to drive a car and going clubbing – the most pivotal sign of adulthood {for women at least} is listening to and understanding your body.

I mean, I get it. Not all of us have medical and science degrees {I most certainly do not}, but I do think that there is something both mature and responsible about taking the time to really know what’s going on inside you.

After all, your body is always changing. Internally and externally.

For men, once they’ve reached maturity, they only really go through normal things like aging and illness.

For women, our bodies are constantly shifting: ovulation, menstruation, pregnancy, menopause. And then on top of that we have to deal with aging, illness and gender pay gaps {lol, had to}.

Ever since my PCOS diagnosis I’ve become so invested in taking the time to truly understand my body, and I think that’s a major reason that for the most part I’ve been able to kick the cystic acne, excessive hair loss, amenorrhea, facial hair growth and migraines. I’m not a perfect picture of health at all, but I am remarkably healthier than I was this time last year.

So, let’s talk hormones.

Balanced hormones are pivotal to good health.

Hormones function as messengers between body systems to regulate your physiology and behavior, such as digestion, metabolism, respiration, tissue function, sleep, stress, growth, movement, reproduction, and mood. Source.

The female endocrine {hormone} system is predominantly made up of estrogen, progesterone and testosterone.

Estrogen is essential for healthy periods, strong bones and cardiovascular health. When your body is producing too much estrogen, you might experience bloating, low libido, headaches, migraines, brittle nails, weak skin, mood swings, depression, hair loss, poor digestion and slow metabolism, fatigue and insomnia.

Progesterone is also essential for healthy periods, especially during the final two weeks of your monthly cycle, but can sometimes bring about premenstrual syndrome {PMS}. It’s also super important for pregnancy. Too much progesterone in the body may cause headaches, rashes, excessive PMS and at times PMDD, fever, depression, weight gain, changes in appetite, acne, leg pain, insomnia and vertigo.

Testosterone is essential in maintaining a healthy libido, bone strength and lean muscle mass. When your body is producing too much testosterone you may experience severe acne, low libido, irregular or absent menstrual cycles, blood sugar issues leading to insulin resistance, male pattern balding, face and body hair growth, PCOS, decreased skin elasticity leading to stretch marks, anxiety and depression.

Don’t even get me started on when these hormones are too low in the body.

Scary, right?

So let’s talk in a general sense about the signs and symptoms of an overall hormone imbalance.

If you’re having trouble losing weight, or are gaining it at a rapid rate – you might have a hormone imbalance.

If you’ve got aggressive or stubborn acne on your face or body – you might have a hormone imbalance.

If you’re fatigued, or anxious, or depressed – you might have a hormone imbalance.

If you’re suffering from insomnia, or are struggling to create a healthy sleep schedule – you might have a hormone imbalance.

If you’re having digestion problems, or ridiculous cravings – you might have a hormone imbalance.

There are a million other things to look out for but I honestly think annual hormone checks should be essential {for women especially}! Our bodies are constantly changing and adapting which can at times be hard to keep up with, so it’s no surprise that almost 80% of women will suffer from a hormone imbalance at some point in their life. Source

So what causes hormone imbalances? Well, a multitude of things can cause them, but they mainly stem from stress, exposure to toxins and foreign substances within the body {i.e. the contraceptive pill}, poor lifestyle choices and inflammation.

Do yourself a favour and get your hormones checked, ladies! Let’s not allow ourselves to suffer in silence. Seek help, make positive changes, and you’ll be on the right path towards better health.

Let me know in the comments if you’ve ever dealt with hormone imbalance, and how you fixed yours. Also – let me know if you want me to write about the steps I’ve been taking to balance my hormones. I can do an entire post on it if you want.

Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram | Bloglovin’

12 Comments

1. February 25, 2018 / 11:00 pm

This post is so important, thank you for sharing it 🙂

-Charlotte x
    myownblogofthoughts.blogspot.com

2. February 25, 2018 / 10:15 pm

Please please do a post on the things you do! I know we are all different but it would still help get my mind in the right direction. I was on the pill for five years before going off last November. Since then I’ve had stubborn acne around my mouth and chin, bit on the forehead too. It seems to inflame with refined sugar, dairy and bad fatty food. Reading this post I realised I don’t know much about my menstruated cycle and hormones. The pill controlled it all for me! I use the app Cluse which is a start, but I still have lots more learning to do. Anyway, enough rambling from me! I hope you do more posts on this topic xx
    Isabella | http://www.digyhu.com

• Sharni
        Author
        March 20, 2018 / 7:48 pm

Girl I’ve got you covered! I promise to write a bunch more on this topic. As long as it’s helping someone, it’s worth it to me.

Thanks for the Clue recommendation! I’ve been using the app for years now and find it so helpful in navigating my odd cycle!

xo

3. February 25, 2018 / 1:00 pm

Love this Sharni! It is so important to get to understand your body as you get older. It can be so hard though. I have had problems with acne, insomnia, weight gain. I’ve never quite found the answer to it all though. I have the rod in my arm now as contraceptive and it has seemed to balance it out a bit more, but I still have weird days and weeks. I’ve contemplating taking vitamins and things, but not sure they’ll help!

Laura || http://www.thelifeoflaura.com.au xx

• Sharni
      Author
      March 20, 2018 / 7:46 pm

Oooh okay. I might have to share a post on vitamins and supplements that are good for balancing and managing hormone health. Thanks for the idea babe! xo

4. February 25, 2018 / 12:54 am

It’s so important to take care of our bodies. Especially that that we live with them every second and we need be aware what’s going on.

• Sharni
      Author
      March 20, 2018 / 7:46 pm

Very true! xo

5. Samantha Newnham
    February 23, 2018 / 10:16 pm

Yas Sharni! It’s so important to know what’s going on with your body, especially as females where everything seems to go wrong!

• Sharni
      Author
      March 20, 2018 / 7:45 pm

Exactly! Thanks for your support babe! xo

6. February 23, 2018 / 8:26 am

“The most pivotal sign of adulthood is listening to and understanding your body.”
    GIRL, thank you so much for writing this. You have no idea how much this line spoke to me! It’s so so true. I’ve heard the term “hormone imbalance” being said here and there, but I think your post really made me think about it. Since I’m under 20, I don’t really feel the need to get my hormones checked but I WILL start paying more attention and being more aware about it. I think I’ll start more on my lifestyle and food choices that could help toward hormonal balance. This convinced me that the imbalance does take its toll on a lot of things in and on our bodies. The female body is indeed A LOT more complicated, but hey, I like to think of it as a blessing more than a curse. It’s just up to us to navigate around it and be responsible about it. Maintaining hormonal balance being one of the ways to do it. <3
    (Super long comment but just putting this to really appreciate you for writing about it! Thanks for sharing and have a nice weekend!)

Joanne | With Risa: A Lifestyle Blog

• Sharni
      Author
      March 20, 2018 / 7:44 pm

Aw thanks so much Joanne! Your support means everything and I hope it helps you understand what you need to look out for. xo

Palm Pyjama Set