We’ve now well and truly approached October, that means it’s time for all things Halloween,
*cue thunder and lightning*
I know I live in Australia, and we’re basically seventy years behind the rest of the world, but in our house we do celebrate Halloween. I guess in our culture over here it’s a little unusual, but I find it to be super fun and a great excuse to watch back-to-back horror films daily (and decorate my house with lots of pumpkins, of course).
Basically the only place I go to get Halloween inspiration is online. There’s nothing better than reading all of the Halloweeny blog posts, scrolling through the endless pictures on Pinterest (follow me on Pinterest), and seeing what people create on their Instagram pages (follow me on Instagram) to get me in the spooky mood.
I thought I would save you all the hours of screen time and combine my favourite sources of Halloween inspiration in the one post. Grab a cuppa and a snack, guys, it’s going to be a long one.
Inspiration for Halloween 2017
First things first, this wouldn’t be a Halloween Inspiration post without mentioning Harry Potter. It’s exciting and magical and at times creepy AF, so I tend to draw a lot of inspiration from the films and books, a.k.a. lots of pumpkins, cats and owls.
As for pumpkins, I’m slightly obsessed with these images from Pinterest…
I think you can tell from these photos that I’m definitely more of a pumpkin girl than a bat/zombie/witch girl, but I’m not opposed to a cute ghost if I see one.
Instagram is such an exciting online community, and I thought to share some love, I’d tell you guys which accounts I’m following right now that are pumping out some seriously inspirational Halloween content.
- Crime by the Book for all your scary book inspo.
- Actually Ash for Halloween cosiness.
- Beautiful Bibliophile for warm tones and lots of books.
- Loulabelle for everything Halloween.
As for blog posts I’ve been reading (and loving) this time of year, I’ve got quite a few…
- Five of the Best (and Worst) Horror Movies to Watch This Halloween: I mostly agreed with this list, except I actually enjoyed The Descent and Unfriended!
- My Front Porch Has Never Looked Scarier: Can we just take a second to appreciate how gorgeous Camille’s front door is? Incredible! I love the marigolds and the heirloom pumpkins. They add a touch of class while the floating bats bring out the traditional Halloween vibes.
- Black and White Halloween Mantel: Halloween has never looked so chic. Love the sparkly black pumpkin!
- A Lush Halloween Haul: Because who can resist a spooky themed pamper? The sparkly pumpkin bubble bar is my fave.
- The Best Horror Books of All Time.
- How to Fully Embrace Halloween and Get Into The Spooky Spirit: I love all of these tips. Also, a fellow ‘The Purge’ lover! Have you seen that film?
- Six Things to Read and Watch this Halloween.
- Twenty Best Halloween Movies Ever: I’m going to start working my way through this list on the weekend.
- Four Things To Do This Halloween: I LOVE the idea of a ghost walk. So spooky but so fun!
Now, let’s move on to some recipes, shall we?
- The Deathly Hallows Cocktail by Half Baked Harvest
- Happy Little Ghost Sugar Cookies by Sarah’s Bake Studio
- Pumpkin Date Caramel Cups by Camille Styles
- Death Eater Negroni by Half Baked Harvest
- Halloween Roasted Vegetables by Live Eat Learn
- Marshmallow Ghost Cupcakes by Our Family of Seven
- Pumpkin Shaped Cinnamon Spiced Sugar Cookies by Half Baked Harvest
- Dark Chocolate Chip Halloween Cookies by House of Nash Eats
- Butterbeer Hot Chocolate by Bakingdom
And finally, some spooky book recommendations…
- The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes.
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.
- Monkeewrench by P.J. Tracy.
- A Deadly Thaw by Sarah Ward.
- You by Caroline Kepnes.
- In The Woods by Tana French.
- The Bazaar of Bad Dreams by Stephen King.
And that about sums up all of the inspiration I’ve gathered so far for Halloween this year! I’ve been doing quite a bit of shopping and home styling, so get ready for a Halloween Haul and a Halloween Home Touches blog post coming later on in the month.
Do you celebrate Halloween? And where do you go to feel inspired?